Regional Identity: Pitch and Rationale

Introduction: What is a pitch?

A movie pitch is when a screenwriter presents an idea for a feature film to people who can help finance or produce it, in hopes of securing money to write the first draft. The pitch process is meant to intrigue the people who can help make a movie—either studio executives, distributors, producers, or directors—to sign onto the project. A movie pitch can be a verbal or a visual presentation of a writer’s big idea, usually preceding the writing of a draft of the film. Film pitches are useful tools that briefly convey the important elements of a film project, like premise, characters, plot, and budget.




Types of Pitch:

  • Standard pitch: The standard pitch is a rehearsed, scheduled pitch in which the screenwriter relays their movie idea to a group of investors or production executives. In some cases, the executives may ask the creator to make a pitch deck to accompany their verbal presentation to help expand upon the screenwriter’s vision for the fim. These pitches often last anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. 

  • Elevator pitch: An elevator pitch is a much briefer form of the standard pitch. The idea is that you deliver the pitch quickly—in about the amount of time you would spend in an elevator ride. An effective elevator pitch should express the essential premise of the idea that doesn’t last more than 20 to 30 seconds. 

Pitch Outline:

In completing research in to my audience and demographic, I have discerned that my audience are working class people aged 16 to 25 who live in the North East of England. I intend to make my documentary based around working class life, as so that the themes and topics, contained in the documentary, are relatable and identifiable to my target demographic. 

I believe by making my documentary based on working class life - my target audience will be able to emote and emphasize with the talking points. Audience members often are drawn to media that reflect things in their everyday lives, especially in works of non-fiction that don't have the same escapist tendencies as fictitious works. 

Given that my target demographic are geographically based in the North East, I will discuss history concerning these areas, as to inform the audience on a topic they are already aware of in greater detail. 

I will break down my pitch in to five sections: Audience, Budget, Running Time, Location, and Cast.

Audience: the audience has specified to be 16 to 25 year olds, who live in the North East of England. Following my research on psychographics, the prime audience for this type of documentary film would most likely be students who are interested in non-fiction documentary filmmaking. These audience type mostly fits the "explorer" psychographic archetype. I will appeal to this demographic by interviewing people of a similar age and of a similar level of education, being anywhere from GCSE to HE, higher education. I feel this will entice the audience as they will feel a sense of relatability with the subjects. I will also try and keep all information contained in the documentary relevant and up to date as so that this younger generation of viewers will be engaged by the documentary contents.

Budget: I will not have a budget when making this project.

Running Time: I intend for my documentary to be anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes long.

Location: Given that my premise is intertwined with the North East, being the central focus of the documentary, I will film 

Cast: my cast will primarily consist of young people whom are students at Bede Campus. However I wish to also discuss with some people from the older generation as to juxtapose perspectives illustrating how attitudes have changed over time, between generations. 

Pitch Presentation:

Today's date is 5th of October 2021 - we have been tasked with presenting a presentation to our lecturer, Emma, surmising our initial ideas in a concise manner. Delivering a pitch presentation to the class is advantageous as it helps garner feedback on my ideas.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regional Identity: Production Diary